Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Angelfall: Book Review

I grabbed this book knowing nothing about it but the title: Angelfall. Which kind of told me that it was going to be about angels. I thought I was in for a fun little read about some chick falling madly in love with a babe-a-licious angel. I was incorrect . . . sort of.

Angelfall by Susan Ee

Description: It’s been six weeks since angels of the apocalypse descended to demolish the modern world. Street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night. When warrior angels fly away with a helpless little girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back.
Anything, including making a deal with an enemy angel.
Raffe is a warrior who lies broken and wingless on the street. After eons of fighting his own battles, he finds himself being rescued from a desperate situation by a half-starved teenage girl.
Traveling through a dark and twisted Northern California, they have only each other to rely on for survival. Together, they journey toward the angels’ stronghold in San Francisco where she’ll risk everything to rescue her sister and he’ll put himself at the mercy of his greatest enemies for the chance to be made whole again.

Review: So, yeah, dystopian ya angel book. Did not see that coming until I started reading and I was like, hey, this world is gross and scary. Even more surprising, the angels are the bad guys! Go figure (I guess I could have avoided this by reading the book description, but I often go into reading my books blind, makes it more fun to unravel the story). The book was really well done in my opinion though.

I really liked the main character. She was conflicted, she was brave, she was loyal, and, most importantly, she kicked butt! And it wasn't like in some books where the chick suddenly gets mad fighting skills for no good reason. Nope, she earned the mad fighting skills. So interesting, determined, and likable main character? Check. The main guy (angel) was a little bit more of an enigma, but overall I liked him and thought the author did a good job of building up something between them that was believable.

The world was like most dystopian worlds, somewhat gross, totally terrifying, but overall pretty well done. There were some things here and there that didn't make total sense to me, but I don't mind that too much as long as it isn't glaringly big plot holes.

Overall it was a book that kept me reading, had interesting characters, a unique plot, and was well written. What more can you ask for? There were even a few things that happened at the end that surprised me a little, which I like since I can often predict endings. I recommend this book.

4 Stars

No comments: