Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Legend: Book Review

Most of my reviews up to this point have been positive, which is why I thought it would be fun to post a negative one. Here's a review of a book that had/has a lot of hype. I really can't see why anyone is into it though. Honestly, the book was one of the most boring 300-ish page books I have ever read. Here's my review:

Description: What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Review: Here's the problem with a book that is supposed to have an incredibly intelligent main character (in this case two genius main characters), either the author needs to be that smart, or they need to be able to get in the mindset of someone that smart. This author failed on both those counts. Miserably.

If I, the average (okay, maybe above average if you're counting the mindless teenage fangirls who drool over anything with a makeout sesh) reader can figure out every major plot point within the first 38 pages, whereas the main "genius" characters can't figure anything out foooooooorever . . . then I don't think your little smarty pants characters are really that smart. Sounds like they're about as sharp as a rubber ball. I had to slog through the book after those first 38 pages waiting for the two little dimwits to understand all of the incredibly obvious plot "twists" (twists is in quotes like that because it's not a twist if it's shoved down your throat in the first few chapters). That's right, I slogged through a 300 page book. Normally I would have finished this book in a few hours. As it was, it took me a few days because the book made me want to put it down. It screamed at me, "You already know everything! Why are you still reading?!"

I also found Day (main guy) and June (main girl) to be utterly boring. They were soooo smart. No flaws. Blah blah blah. Yet they're stupid enough to get duped by people of lower intelligence than them over and over and over again. June seriously never ever questions the government, the people in authority, the system, or anything about the world presented to her? Day doesn't question June? Even when she is the cause of something horrendous, all Day cares about is making out with her face. Also, the characters are both described as very attractive, but I pictured them in my head as little 15 year old ragamuffins running around playing adult.

In the end the book was utterly predictable. The main characters were dull and practically interchangeable (seriously, just have one. Don't split one main character into a boy and a girl for the sake of a love interest), and the world wasn't logically unique and interesting enough to keep me going. Will I read the second one? No I will not. 38 page books are a little too short for me. I do not recommend.

1.5 Stars

No comments: