Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Book Review: The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver

The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs and Me, Ruby Oliver by E. Lockhart
Description: Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:
* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
* lost her best friend (Kim)
* lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
* did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
* did something advanced with a boy (#15)
* had an argument with a boy (#14)
* had a panic attack
* lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
* failed a math test (she'll make it up)
* hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
* became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
* had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the
boys'!?!)
But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

Review: Oh my goodness. This series was like a special little treasure. The main character was lovely, believable, spunky, funny, neurotic, flawed, and utterly enjoyable. Having a book told from her perspective was a delight to read. I loved all of the characters, honestly. The characters alone could have made this book perfection, but then their story lines were intriguing, the writing was like imagination candy. That's right, I said imagination candy.

So there's Ruby. Her life has just fallen apart. She managed to lose her boyfriend, best friends, and reputation within the course of a week. She feels like she lost her sanity along with all those things so she starts to see a shrink because her somewhat spazzy but lovable parents forced her to. 

Ah! This characters voice was so fun. I loved how believable everything was, from the characters to the high school setting. I have read my fair share of YA books where the high school and the kids are absolutely ridiculous. The super hot guy *yawn*, the super mean for no reason girl (c'mon, really? I didn't not know any super mean, tormenting you endlessly because you're good looking and the guy she likes starts liking you girls at my high school. Yet they're rampant in YA books). These nonsense characters do not show up in this book. 

The other thing this book handles with aplomb is creating a story that is for the most part fluffy, but there is a deeper side to everything. That is amazing! I love me some fluffy books, but when I can find one that also has meaning and depth underlying the brainless fun, well that is a feat. 

I highly recommend this book. It's a nice, easy read that you won't regret of forget. Read the rest of the series too. It's all good stuff.

4 Stars.


1 comment:

Becky said...

Chiclit is not usually my thing, and I have been disappointed by your chiclit recommendations in the past, but this sounds intriguing. I will give it a chance.