Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sarah's Top Ten Favorite Books of 2012

I figured that 2012 is good and over, so I ought to say which ten books I most loved reading in the past year.

I'll start with a few stats from Goodreads. Apparently I read 104 books in 2012 that, altogether, were 36,888 pages of reading. Most of it was done on the Kindle that Mark got for me in late 2011, and almost all of the books were borrowed from the library. The longest book I read was The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss at a whopping 994 pages. The oldest book I read was Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen, published in 1811. The rating I handed out the most was 3 Stars, and I recommended more than half of the books as good to read. Mmmmkay, now to my top ten. I'm going to do this in no particular order. All of the top ten are fairly equally loved.


Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Ahhhh . . . it's a time honored classic for me. I've read it a couple of times before in previous years, but I honestly don't get sick of it. I love Elizabeth Bennett, and the cast of characters is delightful yet frustrating. I picture the setting as magical and simple, but never would I ever want to be a woman during that time period. Anyway, if you haven't read it, give it a whirl. It's a good one.





Saving Francesca
On the Jellicoe Road
Finnikin of the Rock
Froi of the Exhiles
by Melina Marchetta
I decided to just bulk her books together as one entry. Not because they are all alike (which they definitely aren't) but because four of her books would have taken up spots in my top ten. Let's just say that she's an amazing writer and you really can't go wrong reading anything written by her. She's possibly on of my favorite authors ever . . . so yeah read any of these books.



The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
This book was some awesome, epic fantasy. If you love yourself a long fantasy book with unique ideas, engaging characters, and top notch writing, then read this book. After you're done reading it, do yourself a favor and do not read the second book in the series. Let's just say that I gave this book 5 Stars without hesitation, and I gave the second book 1 Star with equal swiftness. Truly disappointing, but the first book is undoubtedly worth a read.






Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
What I liked best about this YA fantasy book wasn't just the originality; I also immensely enjoyed that it was written in third person, that the romance wasn't ridiculous, and that the main girl was not obnoxious. The writing was also splendid. I'm sure you've heard of this book though, so if you haven't read it, just do yourself a favor and get your little tushy on that library hold list.






Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi
If I could tell you to read one dystopian YA book and only one, it would be this one. Okay . . . The Hunger Games would be up there too, but that book is old news. Of the gillions of YA dystopian books getting published, this was my favorite I read this year, and I'm pretty sure I read upwards of 13 YA dystopians. This book would not allow me to put it down. It was utterly engaging. I loved it. Loved it.





The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
I'm not really sure how the two author thing works with books, but in this case it worked remarkably well. This story, written in letter format (which I usually hate, but in this case it worked and I loved it), about a woman bonding with an island of people in the aftermath of WWII was sweet, touching, heartfelt, engaging, and delightful. Yup, delightful. It took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.




Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins
This book, and it's two sequels, about a young witch in modern society made me laugh. They were light hearted, funny, and a good, easy read. If you're simply looking to enjoy yourself, go read these.








Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins
Cute, cute, cute! That's how I would describe this YA Chiclit. It is like unto the delightful romantic comedies of yesteryear, such as, You've Got Mail. Another enjoyable yet romantic read.








Angelfall by Susan Ee
I already reviewed this YA dystopian here, and I still feel the same about it. Good book.









World War Z: an Oral History of the Zombie War by Max Brooks
I didn't know if I was going to like this book before I read it. I've never been into zombies whether they be in books, movies, or on TV, but I ended up loving this book. I can't even fathom how much research the author must have put into creating what would happen across the world, not just in the U.S., should some sort of zombie disease occur. I used to think that zombie outbreaks were super ridiculous. "Oh dear, they walk slow and you only become a zombie if they bite you, and you don't become a zombie right away?" I thought. "However could you solve that problem!" But Mr. Brooks made a believer out of me. If zombies happened like they do in this book, then I would be super duper scared. Anywho, strange sounding book, but it's awesome.

Well, there's my top ten-ish books for 2012. You should probably read at least two of them. I promise that you will not regret it.

No comments: