Thursday, January 17, 2013

Becky Book Review: Days of Blood and Starlight

So, Sarah reviewed this book a few days ago and you can read her review here. I actually read this book a few months ago but I hadn't yet posted my review. I know that Sarah gave this book a rave review, but we do actually have differing tastes in books and I did not like this book as much as Sarah did.

Description from Goodreads: Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is—and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.
In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices, Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.
While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. Forhope.

Review: This book started out really slow because you don't see Karou's story line for many many pages. And, I didn't really care for reading from the other characters' point of view as much as I liked Karou. But, once her story line finally made an appearance it started to pick up again. It was intriguing how the author melded the two lives of Karou and Madrigal and made them into this one person who is not human though she wears a human body. Also, I got insight into Akiva's life and the Angel's world, which added some more depth and purpose to the war.

The writing itself was excellent, but the story line was so slow. I did not blaze through this book, but it took a long time to read because the POV kept jumping around so much. It is like when I started to read something that I was really interested in, the book would cut to someone else's POV at that pivotal moment and then I had to wade through 30 boring pages to get back to the real storyline.

The ending was a little predictable because the author sets you up for it way before the end of the book, but I was still pleased with the conclusion. I'm looking forward to the next book.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments: