Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Unearthly: Book Review

I picked up this book because one of the books in the series was in Sarah's top ten books that she wants to read next year. So, I thought, hey, I oughta see what those books are all about.
Description from Goodreads:
In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees...
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.


Review:
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the main character, which doesn't usually happen with YA books because YA authors seem to think main character girls need to be needy and weak and whiny and lame and dependent. But, the main character in this book, Clara, is strong and independent and interesting and actually likeable.

The idea of being part angel is not a new thing; I've read a few books that pose this idea. But, I liked the author's take on angels. Just like I read a lot of different vampire books even though I have read the concept before. One thing that I thought was interesting that I haven't seen before is the author had all the characters who have angel blood have wings. Every other demi angel book I have read, the character has supernatural powers, but no wings.

This author knows how to write romance. I loved how she described Clara's first kiss. She describes all the little things in the moment leading up to the kiss and all the emotions running through Clara so well that I feel like I'm there in the moment with her.

The author is just so good at describing things without getting too wordy that the book is a fast read. Which I love. I hate when a book drags and it takes me forever to finish just because I have reached a boring part in the book. This book didn't have any boring parts.

The only thing that I slightly didn't like was that the book was cliffhangery. Things were left unfinished. But, I suppose that just means that I need to read the next book. Which I definitely will. I love reading books that are easy to read and make me feel, but don't make me think too much.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments: